1 3/4 lb Boneless beef bottom round
1 tb Olive oil
3 Garlic cloves; crushed
1 cn Ready-to-serve beef broth
- (13 to 14 1/2 oz) 2 ts Dried thyme leaves
12 md Mushrooms
6 Plum tomatoes
- each cut lengthwise - into quarters, seeded 3 sm Onions; each cut lengthwise
- into quarters 1 1/2 tb Olive oil
1 1/2 tb Balsamic vinegar; plus...
2 ts Blasamic vinegar; (divided)
1 tb Cornstarch; dissolved in...
2 tb Water
3 c Cooked couscous
preparation 2 1/2 hrs
1. Trim fat from beef. Cut beef into 1-inch pieces. In Dutch oven,
heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until hot. Add beef and garlic (1/2 at a time) and brown evenly, stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Season with 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in broth and dried thyme. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
2. Meanwhile heat oven to 425 F. Lightly spray 15 x 10 inch jelly
roll pan with vegetable cooking spray. Place vegetables in pan. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar; drizzle over vegetables, tossing to coat. Roast in 425 F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
3. Bring beef stew to a boil over medium-high heat. Add cornstarch
mixture; cook and stir 2 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in roasted vegetables and remaining 2 teaspoon vinegar. Serve with couscous.
Nutrition information per serving:
33 g protein 13 g fat (3g saturated fatty acids) 120 calories
from total fat (by calories from fat in beef) 82 mg cholesterol
4.9 mg iron 268 mg sodium
* COOKFDN brings you this recipe with permission from: * Texas Beef Council -- http://www.txbeef.org